Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Mind Blown by a Save Icon

My Mind Blown by a Save Icon

I was writing a short article on the use of 'it' in the English
language earlier today. I happened to be on my Linux Mint boot, and
was using the (very compliant so far) Libre Office Writer to get my work done.

I wrote a section of decent length before I realised I hadn't saved yet,
and for no reason in particular I decided to hit the save button on the tool
bar instead of 'Control + s' like any badass would've normally done.

I was surprised at first when I couldn't find the icon. Where the hell was
the little floppy? I need my doc sa-...

...which was the moment a saw an icon; a green arrow over-top a hard-drive.
"It couldn't be..." I thought vainly as I brought my cursor over the icon
to bring up its mouse-over text. Sure enough, "save" appeared before my eyes.
From a picture of an arrow and a hard-drive.
My foolishness hit me then. Why the hell would a save icon be indicated by a
floppy disk? When was the last time I even TOUCHED a floppy disk? I chuckled
to myself at how much sense it made. This was followed by rage, for the real
party at fault here was the developers who persist in maintaining
familiar icons for the sake of convenience and "ease of use."

Well ease-of-use can walk the plank as far as I'm concerned here. I have not
saved anything on a floppy in years, and neither have those developers.
My hat goes off to the champions at Libre Office for being true to what
is realistic.

We're big kids. We can handle change.

No comments:

Post a Comment